Dentistry/question about temp. crown

About 8 days ago, I had an upper molar prepared for a crown. This is because the tooth had an extremely large old silver filling that was starting to break down. I didn't have any sensitivity in the tooth, but my dentist warned me that because the filling was so huge, there was a chance I could break the tooth and I was safer if I had it crowned. Anyway, everything went well during the procedure, and my dentist said that I could expect some sensitivity but to call him if I had extreme pain that woke me in the middle of the night, because sometimes after preparing a tooth for a crown it can damage the nerve leading it to need a root canal.

Right now I have a temporary crown on the tooth and will be going back in about a week and a half for the permanent crown.

I have been feeling fine since the procedure aside from having a little sensitivity to cold. My dentist said that was normal, and it's more worrisome if there is sensitivity to heat. I do not have any sensitivity to heat. However, tonight I was eating a piece of chocolate. I was not chewing it but just letting it melt in my mouth and the tooth became extremely sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the sugar/sweetness. It took a while to calm down. Is this normal? Or does this mean I will need a root canal? It is still not sensitive to heat at all. Just a little bit to cold, and this strong sensitivity to sugar that I just found out about tonight. Of course this started on a Friday night and I really do not want to call the dentist's emergency number for this question, but am anxious to wait for Monday for an opinion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

i think you are fine...sweets can be a little sensitive on temporary crowns...the sweetness can get under the temporary and cause a little bit of sensitivity. the same goes for cold. you do not want spontaneous pain or heat pain.  at this point, everything seems fine. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.