Dentistry/replacing fillings

Question
QUESTION: I went to my dentist about 4 1/2 weeks ago to re-do 2 fillings on my lower left jaw i was having no pain before but as soon as he hit me with the novocaine in my back tooth I was in severe pain he hit me 2 more times just so he could work. Since then I have had continuous pain very sever and I cannot open my mouth not even enough to brush my tongue. I tried the hot then cool compress nothing. Finally I went to a walk in clinic explained what happened oh and by now I have swelling in my face. They gave me Valium Percocet and an antibiotic and said I should see my oral surgeon and an ENT. Could you tell me what went wrong.

ANSWER: i am not sure what to tell you without seeing you in person. I can give you a few ideas to look into from your end. When you first described what happened, i thought about something called trismus. this is when the masseter muscle spasms due to the irritation of the shot and local anesthetic. it often will ease up over the next 2-3 days or so. you then mention swelling...well trismus does not cause swelling. swelling is usually caused by infection. so next have the tooth or teeth xrayed and see if the nerve is okay in those teeth. i wonder how deep the fillings went.

definitely you need to see a dentist of some sort. you might end up at a root canal specialist. your general dentist can help determine who you need to see next. but you may not want to go back there. you can always get a second opinion. look into these two ideas.

good luck

jeff dalin, dds

QUESTION: Just an update, went to a walk-in clinic the pain was so bad and he could only out 1 finger in my mouth he subscribed pain meds and an antibiotic and said I should see an oral surgeon. I did and its a severe case of TMJ, she said it is odd that I have it only on one side but subscribed muscle relaxers and prescription Tylenol after 24 hours it has begun to feel better I now need to be fitted for a night plate. Thank you so much for your response.

Answer
sounds like all is going well thus far. if you want to make it even better, try moist heat as well...that means not a heating pad. you need to take a washcloth and get it wet with warm water and hold it on the side where it is sore for 5-10 min at a time 3-4 times a day. this will loosen things up even more. when things are better, a night guard would help. good luck...and i am glad it all proved to be just this and not a root canal.

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS