Dentistry/Root Canal Pain

Question
Hello! I work up on Monday with severe pain in my cheek/ lower jaw bone. I went to the dentist who determined that the tooth was dead and started a root canal. He worked on it for about 30 minutes and had to stop because I was still feeling the procedure despite the Novocain. He packed it up and I have to go back in 2 weeks to finish the procedure.

Since Monday I have continued to have intense pain from that tooth. 800mg of ibprofen doesn't even touch the pain. It's pretty miserable. How long can I expect this to go on? I'm not sure I can make it for two more weeks when my next appointment is.

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Katie,

WOW....sorry to hear you're having all this pain! By now, you should be feeling better. Something is not quite right and I suspect you have an infection that probably needs to be treated with antibiotics. I would suggest that you call your dentist, even though it's Sunday, explain what you are feeling and ask for help. He should have an emergency contact number on the weekend. That's our job.....to take care of patients when they are having trouble. You are absolutely right...you can't wait for 2 weeks like this.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD