Dentistry/Root Canal Pain

Hello! I work up on Monday with severe pain in my cheek/ lower jaw bone. I went to the dentist who determined that the tooth was dead and started a root canal. He worked on it for about 30 minutes and had to stop because I was still feeling the procedure despite the Novocain. He packed it up and I have to go back in 2 weeks to finish the procedure.

Since Monday I have continued to have intense pain from that tooth. 800mg of ibprofen doesn't even touch the pain. It's pretty miserable. How long can I expect this to go on? I'm not sure I can make it for two more weeks when my next appointment is.

Hi Katie,

WOW....sorry to hear you're having all this pain! By now, you should be feeling better. Something is not quite right and I suspect you have an infection that probably needs to be treated with antibiotics. I would suggest that you call your dentist, even though it's Sunday, explain what you are feeling and ask for help. He should have an emergency contact number on the weekend. That's our take care of patients when they are having trouble. You are absolutely can't wait for 2 weeks like this.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.