Dentistry/sinus problem through wisdom teeth extraction

Question
hi please help
i had upper wisdom teeth out 2 years ago and for the past few months i have started to suffer with a painful well uncomfortable left cheek and phlegm and now a sore gum area where teeth were taken out
wisdom teeth had not come through
just had some anti biotics which seemed to help but i can feel phlegm coming back and slight cough again had cold twice in two months
i am taking like a sudafed tablets at the moment
doctor has mentioned steam inhalation
any help greatfully appreciated

Answer
Sharon - It is a little difficult for me to fully determine what is going on without examining you, but the area that now has a sore gum where the teeth were removed could indicate that the bone never healed correctly in that area. It could also indicate that you have a sinusitis (inflammation of the sinus).  It is very important that you get yourself evaluated by an ear, nose and throat specialist.  Hopefully it is only an inflammation of the sinus, because if true a knowledgeable doctor can truly help.  So my recommendation is to make an appointment with and ear, nose and throat specialist for an evaluation.  The fact that the antibiotic helped indicates that there is some level of an infection in the sinus.  Finding the cause of the infection is important.  That is what seeing the specialist should do.

I wish you well and hope you can be better soon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired