Dentistry/surgical area after bone graffing

I had a baby tooth extracted 2days ago & had some bone graffing put in & stitches for a future tooth implant, what is the surgical area supposed to look like while healing?? I am starting to get really nervous since the area where the Dr. stitched looks white, is this normal?? there seems to be a little bit of an odor also, I don't have any pain however! They also made me a flipper to put on that spot since it's close to the front of my mouth & I didn't feel secure having it exposed, should I not be wearing it during this healing process? please help!...

Maria -  Initially it is probably best that you hold off wearing the flipper for about 7-10 days to allow the graft to begin to heal.  

Whiteness in a healing site is not totally unusually.  Usually if the whiteness seems to have a little texture it is just new cell formation.  The whiteness should begin to resolve within 4-5 days.  Odor is not bad, but it is the beginning of growth of bacteria in the area.  Not dangerous bacteria, but rinsing your mouth with warm salt water 2-3 times a day for about a minute will promote cleanliness and healing.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude