Dentistry/temp. crown question

About 8 days ago, I had an upper molar prepared for a crown. This is because the tooth had an extremely large old silver filling that was starting to break down. I didn't have any sensitivity in the tooth, but my dentist warned me that because the filling was so huge, there was a chance I could break the tooth and I was safer if I had it crowned. Anyway, everything went well during the procedure, and my dentist said that I could expect some sensitivity but to call him if I had extreme pain that woke me in the middle of the night, because sometimes after preparing a tooth for a crown it can damage the nerve leading it to need a root canal.

Right now I have a temporary crown on the tooth and will be going back in about a week and a half for the permanent crown.

I have been feeling fine since the procedure aside from having a little sensitivity to cold. My dentist said that was normal, and it's more worrisome if there is sensitivity to heat. I do not have any sensitivity to heat. However, tonight I was eating a piece of chocolate. I was not chewing it but just letting it melt in my mouth and the tooth became extremely sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the sugar/sweetness. It took a while to calm down. Is this normal? Or does this mean I will need a root canal? It is still not sensitive to heat at all. Just a little bit to cold, and this strong sensitivity to sugar that I just found out about tonight. Of course this started on a Friday night and I really do not want to call the dentist's emergency number for this question, but am anxious to wait for Monday for an opinion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Dear Sara,

Temporary crowns often do not completely cover and seal all exposed dentin on the prepped tooth. If the dentin comes in contact to sweets it definitely can cause the type of sensitivity that you mention experiencing. It doesn't mean you need a root canal. You might try to limit the amount of sweets you are eating until your permanent crown is inserted so that your tooth remains comfortable.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics