Dentistry/temporary crown question

Question
About 8 days ago, I had an upper molar prepared for a crown. This is because the tooth had an extremely large old silver filling that was starting to break down. I didn't have any sensitivity in the tooth, but my dentist warned me that because the filling was so huge, there was a chance I could break the tooth and I was safer if I had it crowned. Anyway, everything went well during the procedure, and my dentist said that I could expect some sensitivity but to call him if I had extreme pain that woke me in the middle of the night, because sometimes after preparing a tooth for a crown it can damage the nerve leading it to need a root canal.

Right now I have a temporary crown on the tooth and will be going back in about a week and a half for the permanent crown.

I have been feeling fine since the procedure aside from having a little sensitivity to cold. My dentist said that was normal, and it's more worrisome if there is sensitivity to heat. I do not have any sensitivity to heat. However, tonight I was eating a piece of chocolate. I was not chewing it but just letting it melt in my mouth and the tooth became extremely sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the sugar/sweetness. It took a while to calm down. Is this normal? Or does this mean I will need a root canal? It is still not sensitive to heat at all. Just a little bit to cold, and this strong sensitivity to sugar that I just found out about tonight. Of course this started on a Friday night and I really do not want to call the dentist's emergency number for this question, but am anxious to wait for Monday for an opinion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Answer
Your dentist informed you properly about what problems could occur and sensations to expect, but forgot to mention about sweet sensitivity. A temporary crown does not completely seal and protect the tooth like the permanent crown will. A temporary crown can allow some leakage up underneath, causing cold or sweet sensitivity. Sugar can cause the exposed dentin of the tooth to react uncomfortably, but is generally nothing to worry about.
Brush well, and avoid sticky sweet, or icy cold items and you should be fine!

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS