Dentistry/Tooth Extraction

I had the last jaw tooth on the bottom right side extracted on a Monday.  The tooth had a temporary filling due to a previous break.  The extraction took longer than anticipated, and one of the root tips broke off.  The dentist worked for 30+ minutes to remove the root tip.  Even after several tipshots of novacain I could feel this the deeper he dug.  He gave me more shots and finally freed the root tip.  He explained to me what he did, and said he "hit" the jaw bone.  It has been exactly one week and my jaw continues to ache.  It does not hurt in the extraction location, but more from my ear to when the jaw indents before the chin.  Is this normal?  What may have happened?

Kelly -  It is not uncommon for a difficult extraction to produce a severe inflammation within the socket after the extraction.  This process is called a dry socket.  You should get back to the dentist.  If he is unable to diagnose what is happening, you should make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate you.  If it is a dry socket, placing a simple dressing in the socket for few times after irrigating the socket will help reduce the pain and promote healing.

Do not put this off.  Get yourself evaluated and if the dentist is not sure, see a surgeon.

I wish you well and hope you feel better soon.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude