Dentistry/apicoectomy

Question
QUESTION: Hi Dr  Liewehr, i had a apico almost 2 months ago and my gum is still num .is this normal.when will this go away.Ihad 2 apico 35 yrs ago and it didn't feel like that.is this normal.  and how long will it take to go away.

ANSWER: I really can't tell you much without seeing you and knowing what was done. It really depends on what you mean by "numb": how big an area, how insensate it is, and so forth. Scar tissue is often numb, but only the incision itself, not the surrounding area. So you need to talk to the dentist who did the surgery.

QUESTION: Hi Dr Liewehr,Thank you for your respond.The area is yhat is numb is right on the gum line where the crown sits .It feels hard also .and also along the incision.Ijust dont remember that years ago with my other ones.

Is it the thpe of anestic they use.Cani be sensitive to it.

But how long does it take to be fully healed. Thank You Again

Answer
It has nothing to do with the anesthetic, and is merely a function of the healing of the surgical wound. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I once had a parasthesia following removal of a wisdom tooth, and it took about 15 years for that to settle down. So there is no way to predict when or if the sensation will change. Any time you have a wound, whether it is surgically or traumatically induced, your body will repair the area, but not necessarily regenerate it. Nonfunctional scar tissue may replace other formerly functioning tissues or organs. So, don't worry about it.

Dentistry

Frederick R. Liewehr DDS, MS, FICD