Dentistry/Broken molar

My back molar, the one that is second to the last tooth has broken. 1/4 of the tooth broke off while I was eating. 2 weeks ago the middle portion between the two halves  broke while I was eating and it left a gap between the two Halves now one of the halves have broken after eating and the Dentin now exposed. I do have a cavity in that tooth that was suppose to be filled when I was really young but cried not to go back.I'm not sure if its because if the cavity because my tooth never really hurt and it doesn't hurt now.the part that chip off has one small speck of cavity on it so I'm not sure of the cause. Canthe tooth be saved? What  are the options of getting this fixed and the estimate pricing?? I am a recent college grad who's still looking for a job so I have no dental insurance.also is there a way to prevent a cavity from spreading?

Thank you for your time.Take care.

Stacey -  Of course without examining you or seeing an xray of the area, it is a little difficult for me to predict how far the decay has spread and if the tooth is salvagable at all.  The first thing that needs to be done is to remove the decay and examine the tooth to see if it is structurally sound and can actually be salvaged at all.  I fully understand that without insurance you are apprehensive about the fee, but I cannot tell you if fillings or a crown is needed to save the tooth.  The fees vary how extensive the decay is and where you are.  

So you really need an exam by a dentist to tell you if the tooth can be saved.  That dentist should also be able to tell you what might be involved to salvage the tooth.  So get an evaluation.  I fully understand your apprehension with insurance, but an evaluation is definitely necessary.

At this stage, I cannot tell you if the decay can get worse, but usually decay is not self-limiting and will expand.  The best way to prevent spreading is to remove the decay first of all.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude