Dentistry/Cervical resorption (External) Tooth #9

Question
My endodontist diagnosed me with a external cervical resorption on tooth number 9.   What is the best option for treatment -- root canal and patching the hole, or dental implant?  
Thank you for any information you can supply.

Answer
Dear Warren:
I, or anyone else for the same matter, cannot possibly answer your question without a thorough look at your X-rays, photos, study casts (models of your teeth), and a clinical examination.
Each person is different and what is right for one can be entirely wrong for another.
Nonetheless, the best option is usually to keep your own tooth.  The reason is that it is incredibly difficult to duplicate the surrounding tissues (the gum) with an implant. The natural tissue color, shape and consistency is best on a natural tooth.  Any foreign materials inserted into the bone and gums will create a reaction is changes in the color and shape of the tissues.
Here is what you should do...
Talk to your endodontist and general dentist about a referral to a prosthodontist, who is the expert in cosmetic, restorative, and implant dentistry.  I do not know the knowledge or skill level of your general dentist, and this is the reason I recommend going to a specialist.  
Treatment of an anterior (front tooth) is better done right the first time.  It is very difficult to repair mistakes in that region of the mouth, since any defect in the tissue is seen right away.
If the prosthodontist can repair the external damage to the tooth with a proper restoration (filling or a crown) and the endodontist can clean and repair the canal properly, the tooth should be left in your mouth and monitored carefully (yearly check up and X-ray).  If the endodntist tells you that he/she cannot repair the damage with a proper root canal treatment, and/or the prosthodontist tells you that the external damage cannot be repaired predictably, you have to consider having the tooth properly extracted.  There is also another very important option to consider if the tooth is not restorable....possibly using orthodontics-braces to extrude (walk the tooth out) over time rather than an extraction.  It is far easier to have the bone generated by slowly "walking the tooth" out of the bone and having it grow behind it, than by trying to graft it from another source.  This is the most predictable and up-up-to-date way or treating your situation.
www.gotoapro.org will have a link to a prosthodntist near you.
Again, this should be considered by your prosthodontist with all the information at hand.
I will be more than happy to give you more information by phone during business hours at my office.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.