Dentistry/What does a core build up look like?

Question
Hello. My temporary tooth fell off and I saw my tooth shaved down like a triangle. Its not smooth and not even. It looks like my tooth and not like something else was placed on it. The tooth looks grayish on the sides and its not the temporary clay.

Answer
Dear Tom,

Core buildups can have many different appearances. Usually they are made of a material that is not the same shade as a tooth. It helps a dentist differentiate between the core material and the tooth structure that remains. In your case you may be looking at the remains of your natural tooth structure and if there was core material it sometimes can be left inside the temporary crown that has come out.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com