Dentistry/Dental advice and baking soda

I saw your response to a woman that was asking about using baking soda to brush her teeth with (the post was from a long time ago, but i thought i'd ask a related question)
I just moved and I went to a new dentist the other day who was supposed to do a cleaning, check up and x-rays....well, they took the x-rays and did a 5-10 minute cleaning with a drill, then put on some sort of "fluoride paste" that i had to leave on my teeth for 4-6 hours...but they never physically checked my teeth or looked at my x-rays. The way they "checked" my teeth, was to use a little camera that they put in my mouth and looked at my teeth on the tv screen....and they told me that based on looking at the camera view, they could tell that i needed 4 fillings and that the other 2 fillings i have from about 15 years ago "should have crowns put on them". I brush my teeth 3-4 times a day (depends on how much tea or coffee i drank that day) with a sonicare toothbrush, i floss at least once a day (depending on what i ate that day, like steak, i would floss a second time after that meal) and for the past 15 years I've never had any problems at all. Every other Dentist I've ever been to for annual cleanings and checkups, always said that my teeth are in really great condition.
I don't understand how this Dentist could know 100% that I have FOUR cavities suddenly since last year, if they didn't even bother checking my teeth with anything more than a camera....does this sound like a scam to you?

Another thing is, on some of my molars in the very back, there were some small stains in the fissures. They looked like a little bit of black, hair-thin lines in the deep grooves. I asked the Dentist and the Dental Assistants how I could get rid of the stains and prevent them, and they told me that there was nothing I could do to prevent them.....but I was thinking of using baking soda. I can't see these stains when i look at my teeth in the mirror, I could only see them on this magnified camera at the Dental office.
Do you think baking soda would work to get rid of these little black stains on my molars, or do you have any other suggestions as to how I could get rid of them??
Any advice you could give me would be really great!
Thanks in advance :)

Angie, there are too many unknowns that I don't have access to.  I don't know this dentist, his philosophy or what your dental needs are. But everything you wrote makes me want to suggest that you get a second opinion from another dentist before proceeding with the recommended work.  At least consult with your original dentist if possible.  I get a sense that you are about to be over - treated by the new dentist.  Of course I could never be certain about that without actually seeing you.

I you really do have some early new decay starting, a modern dentist or hygienist can show you how it can be stopped and reversed and perhaps avoid drilling and filling.  

Larry Burnett DDS  

Larry Burnett DDS

Preventative Dentistry. Conservative Periodontal Therapy

National lecturer on conservative treatment of periodontal diseases and elimination of tooth decay. Former adjunct professor of oral microbiology at a Leading school of dental hygiene. Former investigator for State Board of Dentistry. Retired from private dental practice.

RDH Magazine. Numerous articles

Graduate of Medical College of VA School of Dentistry. 20 years teaching hygienists at NOVA