Dentistry/Your Dental Book and Insurance Coverage

Dear Dr. Finnk,

Has your book been released yet?  "How to Save Money at the Dentist?"  

Is there any reason why most dental work (except cosmetic)cannot be covered by medical insurance since it is our "oral health."  I wonder if that will ever happen in our lifetime?

As you state in your bio "Infections from your teeth and gums can spread to other tissues and organs of your body. Gum infections have been associated with cardiovascular disease."

I work for a large organization and I only have $855/yr coverage after the deductible.   That coverage, for me was gone in one month for only one portion of root canal treatment.  The post, filling and crown was out of pocket.  So was thousands for other work during this past year. It's almost as if we're forced to pull our teeth to save money, which I have done in certain circumstances.  

I just went to my dentist for an opinion on a problem tooth of mine and the consult was $125.  I would like to go for another opinion, but can't afford to.  My last second opinion was double the amount of my first.

I know there are many others in the same boat and worse.  

I sent this letter to you specifically because I saw that you are writing a book.....and may have some very good tips/advice for us.

I'm thankful I have found this very informative site.  I used it ~ 4 months ago while going thru a very painful coronectomy on an impacted wisdom tooth that was not healing.  Dr. James Ryan of AllExperts "WAS" my second opinion.  His professional advice (many emails) and empathy is what got me thru my healing process.

I thank all of you!

Dear Sharon,

I am not the one to answer insurance questions.  Especially your philosophical question about why dental coverage is not included in medical coverage.  But I'll try.

I'm guessing that because organized medicine, basically the AMA, back in the late 1940's and early 50's, when medical insurance was being born, contained few, if any, dentists.  And because dentists were looked down on as "less than" physicians.  And because it was a group from within the AMA that developed the idea that health insurance might bring the ability to afford health care to the masses, that dentists, as well as optometrists, podiatrists and chiropractors were not included as health care providers for the purposes of health insurance.

Over the next 30 years, the dentist organization (ADA) began to think the same way about dental insurance.  So dental plans were born.  And they have remained separate ever since.  There is also the fact that dentistry is very elective in nature (you usually can choose when you go and what you receive).  This makes dentistry a difficult field for actuaries to calculate risk and determine premiums.  Medicine is usually driven by disease which must be treated.  When there is no disease, there is usually no visit.

I actually did finish my book.  It's about 100 pages long, but it's never been published due to the fact that just as I was ready to give my final draft to my publisher, I began a dental practice.  This has been a very time consuming business.  I do plan on releasing my book this summer.

Thank you for noticing me!

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.