Dentistry/dental pain

Hi - I have seen many  many dentists - most were pleasant but never took care of my pain issues - so I am desperately seeking answers since I have to go back to someone for a lot of work - if I visit a dentist for a cleaning or filling I am in incredible pain for weeks afterwards - it makes going to any dentist silly - one time i had a tooth extracted and he left a piece in there (which I read happens sometimes) its was weeks of intense unthinkable pain until the piece worked it way out - many dentist have given me up to 7 needles to try to numb the area with little success - i still feel pain when they work and always afterwards -someone suggested sedation dentistry but isn't that very expensive?
any help at all is greatly appreciated !!!  thank you Dave

Hello Dave,

How are you?

I am so sorry to hear of your dental troubles. Sedation dentistry is an option but can be quite costly as you mentioned.

A couple of options for you:
1. Pre appointment valium to relive stress and anxiety. Increased stress does interfere with the anesthetic to some degree.
2. Ask your dentist for a stronger anesthetic with a higher percentage of epinephrine.
3. Ask your dentist to try different locations when giving anesthetic since your anatomy might be unique and the standard places may be different for you.
4. Ask about a numbing rinse prior to any dental work to give you an extra numbing action.

Bottom line for you is to ask around friends and family to find a dentist that is right for you. Always be open and honest with the dentist letting them know your history so they can make allowances in treatment for your care.

I hope the information above helps you find proper dental care and keep you out of pain. Dentistry should not be a painful experience like you have witnessed.

Any further questions feel free to ask.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998