Dentistry/existing MRSA requiring dental ext.

My patiet who is being treated for MRSA(being treated with Doxycycline),needs a dental ext.( tooth has radiographic evidence of Chronic apical periodontitis, unrestorable but is fortunately asymptomatic at this point).

Should i do the ext. at all?

If yes,Besides having a sterile field , should i have prophylactic antibiotics, antibiotics after, what kind?

any word would be appreciated.
Gurpreet Sidhu, DDS.

Gurpreet - From a purely surgical approach, there should be no problems if the patient has been taking the doxycycline.  My suggestion, rather than you deciding the appropriate antibiotics to add, if they are needed at all, I would speak with the patient's physician.  If the doctor is an infectious disease specialist or an internist with extensive treatment of infectious diseases, he should be able to assist you is coming up with an approach that should be good for the patient's health.

If, however, there is any question and the doctor is somewhat hesitant for now, hold off.  Especially since the patient is pain free a "belt and suspender"  approach is wise.  So speak with the patient's physician.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude