Dentistry/Implants and denture

Question
Dr. I need implants for my lower denture, and was wondering how long after the surgery can I wear my denture? It woulde be very hard for me to eat without it. Thank You

Answer
Loretta -  Let me first tell you that I am a very conservative doctor and just like repairing a fracture, the bone takes time to heal.  Prematurely placing and using a denture over implants can greatly affect them.  If your dentist is knowledgeable, he should have cut out the area of the denture sitting on the implants.  If done that way, the denture can be used within 7-10 days.  If the denture is not properly adjusted, the denture cannot be used over the denture site for at least 4 months.

Do not let your dentist rush you.  You don't want to lose the implants by prematurely applying pressure on them.  So have your dentist adjust the denture so it can sit without touching the newly placed implants.  You can eat, but with softer foods.  In 4-6 months, the implants can be exposed by cutting of the gums and posts are placed into the implants to act as supports for the denture.  The denture is then adjusted or a new denture is made to be used with the implants.

Any more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired