Dentistry/Liner for Partial

Dr. Could you tell me if a dentist could put a permanent liner in my cast metal partial? I have a very thin ridge in front of my right molar, and a strong clasp on that molar, but I have pain when eating because the partial hurts my thin ridge. Thanks

Dear Christine,

Although I haven't examined you and can not diagnose your problem with certainty, I can offer some information that you may find helpful.

If you are having pain on the edentulous ridge anterior to your clasp, your partial may be applying too much pressure on the ridge. The framework may actually need to be relieved. If this is done  your  tooth supported partial(tooth supported clasp behind an edentulous space)should not press on your ridge. Relining your partial will most likely put greater pressure on the ridge.

I suggest you return to the dentist who fabricated the denture. He should examine it to make sure that the clasp on your right molar keeps your  partial from shifting when you bite on it and to see whether any changes can be made so that you do not have further discomfort.

I hope this information is helpful.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics