Dentistry/microfracture

Question
I go to the dentist every 6 months and have xrays every year and have not had any dental work done in at least 16 years...always good report. I recently had to change dentist due to my work schedule. He has digital imaging and told me that i need to have 6 or 7 crowns done due to microfractures in teeth were silver fillings are. he suggested having it done to prevent the teeth from possible breaking in the future. I am in my 40 s and healthy. I have no oral symptoms at all. Should i be considering have all this work done for prevention or just wait to see if anything ever happens and address it then? I was considering waiting and if they ever broke just get implants since the price on them has gone down and so i dont ever have to worry about a crown acting up. Any advice you can give me would be more than greatly appreciated.

Answer
It is hard to answer you without an actual dental exam. That being said, the finding of 6-7 crowns needed due to microfractures raises some red flags. Why not seek a second opinion. Often when I do examine patients I do find crack lines visible adjacent to long standing amalgams and I do suggest eventual crowning of some of the teeth. My logic is why wait until they become symptomatic. That being said, seven cracked teeth is a large number and I think you should get another diagnosis before deciding on how to respond.

If it turns out that you do have that number of cracked teeth, you might inquire about whether having a night guard is a good idea inorder to protect your teeth in the future. Waiting until you need implants is a bad idea, since it is way more expensive.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com