Dentistry/Misalingned jaw

Question
I had some work done on a root canal filling, this was on Thursday and since then my jaw has been out of line, my bottom jaw is half a tooth to the right of what it should be, I can no longer bite correctly and it's making it hard to chew food and causing general discomfort, how do I put it back in line?

Answer
Hi Laura,

Thank you for your question.

I would start by going back to the dentist who did the work.  The sooner the better (like today or tomorrow), so that you do not develop incorrect biting habits by continuing to bite down in the out of line position.  Since they will probably be squeezing your appointment in, make sure the dentist himself sees you and not just an office assistant.

In the mean time, try and eat soft foods so you are not chomping down as much.  If possible try not to talk much either, because your tongue may try to compensate when you speak.  Your tongue is also susceptible to developing bad habits.

If necessary go for a second opinion from an oral surgeon without delay, if you are not happy with either how your mouth feels or the dentist explanation.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble