Dentistry/Need Help

I'm a 58 yr old heathy male. Went to dentist for aching upper molars on left side. Dentist said teeth were fine, but sinus showed white instead of black on xrays so could be infected. I went to doctor who gave me steroids, anti-biotic & pain meds for sinuses, mostly on dentists word. No relief on 3rd day, in fact now lower molars hurt on the same side. The pain is a dull ache that comes and goes. Hot & cold seem to initiate it sometimes. What's puzzling is that when I lay down to sleep it is 3 times more painful. I get up and walk around and the pain goes away in 2 minutes. I lay back down and pain starts again in 15-20 minutes. I'm up & down all night. I don't take the narcotic for pain as I can't work if I take it. So depressed. Do I go back to the doctor or the dentist?

Dear Roger,

If antibiotics and steroids have not resolved your problem, it is likely coming from your teeth.  Most likely upper teeth.  Most likely some type of infectious pulpitis.  Please contact your dentist and have him refer you to an endodontist.  You will likely need one or more root canals.  And yes, the infections in your tooth nerves could have come from your sinus infection.  Or vice-versa.

For sleep tonight, try taking 2 Benadryl tablets.  Take them one hour before you usually go to bed.  Then call your dentist tomorrow, first thing.

Please let me know what finally resolves your pain.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.