Dentistry/Pain with metal on Partial

Question
Dr. I just got a lower cast metal partial from a Prosthodontist, a few weeks ago. The partial sits on all of the lower front area of my gums. I have a clasp on my right molar, and my left wisdom tooth. There is hardly any pink acrylic over the metal at all, and when I try to chew food the gums hurt, and become red and irritated, like metal is rubbing on them. When I told the dentist this, he said that is the accurate amount of acrylic needed. He said my gums will have to toughen up. How can that be when the pain is so bad. I cannot even chew oatmeal without what feels like metal spikes in my gums. What should I do, when the dentist won't do nothing? Thank You

Answer
Initially, for the first few days dentures might need to be adjusted and may be uncomfortable. However, after a few short adjustments, dentures should not hurt. Some people are not comfortable with the "IDEA" of dentures and don't like having big acrylic devices in their mouths, but they should not actually hurt the gums. You should bring this to the attention of your dentist (or find a new dentist) because a poorly-fitting denture can cause damage to the teeth and gums. Good luck and I hope things work out for you, Happy New Year!
Joseph Zelig
www.smileinthecity.com

Dentistry

Joseph Zelig, DDS