Dentistry/Tooth L and S

Question
16_Left BW
16_Left BW  
16_Right BW
16_Right BW  
QUESTION: Hi My daughter who is 4 years old has two tiny deep discolored pits in her L and S teeth? Here are the xrays. Can you see any decay? I think I can see some decay in her L tooth but with her S tooth it is harder to tell. I can see where there would be decay with her S tooth because the enamel is missing in one area and it looks more shadowed underneath it. Can you see any decay? If so, which tooth looks like it has more decay?"

ANSWER: Hi susan
Yes both the teeth have decay. Both are deep and should be filled up. However remember that an xray is a 2 dimensional image of a 3 dimensional object. From clinical experience i can say that cavities are usually deeper than what they look on the xray and usually bigger too.
Practically speaking it would be a pleasant surprise if ur daughter doesnt end up needing root canals to save these teeth. I believe she is about 6-7 years of age.... And the ones that are gonna replace these milk teeth are gonna come out around 10-12 years of age. Hold on to them tooth and nail.
Best wishes
dr mayank kaurani
India

QUESTION: I cannot thank you enough! Had bottom left cleaned out and filled today. Going back in 2 weeks to do the bottom right. Does one look deeper than the other to you?

ANSWER: Yes susan it does. Cross your fingers and hope the doc can avoid a root canal!

QUESTION: I was upset that he did the left bottom first. The right bottom looks deeper right?? Do you have any idea why he did the S and not the L tooth first???

Answer
Hi susan
Its not unusual that he did the simpler one earlier. We all do it that way with kids. It sort of aquaints the child with the doctor and builds confidence in the childs mind. Part of mentally conditioning the child so that there is enhanced cooperation for the more complex tooth to follow.
Trust me, we all do it that way.
Best wishes
Dr mayank kaurani
India

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS