Dentistry/Tooth recovery from trauma

Dear Dr. Kaufman,  Would you please explain the ability that teeth may have to recover from trauma?  Due to choosing a "wrong dentist"  to place veneers, I had severe over drilling beneath the gums and all the enamel off to the dentin! At first I had so much pain experts thought I'd have to have root canals, but then a prosthodontist re-did the restorations and now, 4 years later,  I am so much better. So I'm wondering--is trauma to the tooth cumulative? In other words,  if I ever had some other work done on those teeth might that be the "straw that broke them?"  Or, can one heal completely, and then in essence, you "start all over again" with the tooth's health status?  Also, if one has sinus problems, or frequent nasal allergies, could this cause pain in the gums of the upper central incisors?  Or would sinus pain only be reflected in the molars?  Thank you so much Dr. Kaufman for considering my questions.  Jessie K

Dear Jessie:
You are correct with your assumption that damage to teeth is cumulative.  One can NEVER give back what is lost.  The best that we can do is restore the teeth with tooth colored materials, which are compatible with the human body.  The work that we do as dentists is prosthetic in nature.  The crowns that you have, restore the tooth structure, but they cannot bring back your enamel.  With time, the crowns can get decay underneath, and the teeth might need root canal treatment and if and when those fail, replacement will be in order.  However, the prognosis is good and if you have good treatment, as you already know, the restorations can last you a very long time, perhaps for the rest of your life.  In addition, dental work, when maintained properly with professional cleanings and proper home care can last you a lifetime.
As to the sinuses... commonly sinus pain is related to the back teeth, but since the nerves are connected, the front teeth can rarely exhibit symptoms.
In any case, any symptoms need to be addressed on an individual basis with a proper examination by a professional.
It sounds as if you are on the right track for recovery.  Keep up the good home care, and proper visits to the dentist and you will be OK.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.