Dentistry/tooth sensitivity

Hi doctor,
Does a tooth have to be sensitive to hot/cold to require a root canal?  My back upper molar bothers me sometimes, for almost a month now. It started with irritation in the gums around it and I did see what looked like a pimple in my inner cheek side where this tooth hurt.  But the tooth is not sensitive to hot/cold...or even biting force.  It just hurts from time to time? It does have large deep fillings already..I'd like to keep it by all means and not have to ignore a root canal that would save it....

The pimple was most likely a draining infection and yes then you do need a root canal.  Tooth is sensitive only when nerve is dying, then can be pain free.  Since this tooth seems to be infected I would see an Endodontist (root canal specialist) to do it, not a general dentist.

Crystal Baxter DMD< MDS

Dental malpractice issues, Prosthodontics. Geraitric dentistry, complications from dental treatment including nerve damage, TMJ, brain abscess, infections, sinus perforations, fatalities.

30 years of dental practice, 17 years teaching, University of Illinois, and Northwestern University. National lecture series on dental implants and treatment planing, 18 years as dental expert witness in dental leagl issues.

14 publications, see CV on website.

see credentials at Includes, graduate of University of Pittsburgh, DMD, certificate of Prosthodontics, Masters of Dental Science, certificate of Geriatric Dentistry.

National lecturer, various TV and radio spots including CNN and interviews by Debra Norville.

National expert witness experience, plaintiff, defense, and personal injury.