Dentistry/Types of composites

Can you please explain the difference between a flowable and stackable composite filling and how each is used to fill a tooth that had a cavity?

Thank you!

Hi Susan,

Flowable composite has more resin (versus fillers) so it flows more and is ideal for a deeper part of a cavity.  Stackable or Packable composite has more fillers, used traditionally for the bulk of a filling.  Most dentists will use a combination of the two when doing a filling depending on how deep the cavity is.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics