You are here:

Dentistry/Types of composites


Can you please explain the difference between a flowable and stackable composite filling and how each is used to fill a tooth that had a cavity?

Thank you!

Hi Susan,

Flowable composite has more resin (versus fillers) so it flows more and is ideal for a deeper part of a cavity.  Stackable or Packable composite has more fillers, used traditionally for the bulk of a filling.  Most dentists will use a combination of the two when doing a filling depending on how deep the cavity is.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ketan Amin, DMD


Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck


Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]