Dentistry/Can I wear dentures

Question
I have teeth extracted. Both healed and one side looks thicker than other. The one that looks thin is the one that was surgically extracted due to tooth being chipped on it's side, now I don't know if dentures would fit on that thin gum/bone area. Will dentures fit?

Answer
Dear Betty,

Although I have not examined you,I can give you some information that may be helpful.  I am assuming we are discussing a full denture. Most people after they have had their teeth extracted are suitable candidates for full dentures. The ridge that supports a full denture can be uneven due to bone loss during some of the extractions, but usually this doesn't pose a large problem with the  fitting of a denture. If your dentist feels that your ridge needs "smoothing" he can recommend some minor re-contouring of the alveolar ridge by an Oral Surgeon, but often this is not required.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com