Dentistry/Yellow spot on side of tongue

Question
I just noticed while examine my tongue a yellow area on the very back lateral side of my tongue. It doesn't really look this way on the other side of my tongue. The tongue tissue looks more yellow with veins running through it. Is this normal or something I need to have checked out? I included a pic it's the spot on the very far back base of my tongue on the lateral border towards the bottom of the tongue on the other side of the indent.  I also suffer from geographic tongue but it never affects this side of my tongue only my left side and dorsal surface. Thanks.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc393/kkingery83/0B8E3F27-9165-4601-9EC5-6A4

Answer
Hi Ken,
I'm not really an expert in oral pathology like this, but I am aware that geographic tongue does migrate, even to areas previously unaffected.

That being said, the lateral part of the tongue is a common area for oral cancer and pre-cancer areas.  Not trying to scare you, but if you notice a change in color in this area, I would recommend seeing an oral surgeon for an evaluation.

Best of Luck,
KG Amin, DMD

Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD