Dentistry/Yellow tissue side of tongue

I noticed a yellow area on the side if my tongue. I am not sure if this is normal and always been there. The tissue just looks more yellow than the opposite side and has veins in the top of it. Is the very back bottom lateral base I tongue. Is this something to have checked out or just normal?

Kim - Relax - your picture shows that yellow area, but it is not abnormal. It is a combination of fatty tissue and glandular tissue.  This is totally normal and nothing to worry about.  If you ever see ulerations associated, then it needs to be evaluated, but what you have is totally normal.

Have a great holiday and a happy new year.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude