Dentistry/Troubles with composite filling and bite adjustment

MikeA wrote at 2013-05-17 19:16:46
Dr.Kaufman, Dentists like you are the typical reason why it's so hard to find a good dentist. When composite fillings are not properly adjusted they will put undo pressure on the opposing tooth, this will cause one of teeth to crack, a thickening of the periodontal ligament (which can become a permanent sensitivity), and/or constant pain for the patient. The biggest problem I have with dentists is they don't take the time, or obtain the necessary education, to learn how to adjust a proper bite after doing dental work. In the past, when amalgam fillings were the standard, this wasn't too much of a problem as you only had to deal with this incompetence when you got a crown. However, now that composite fillings are the standard, patients have to deal with incompetent dentists not properly adjusting a bite nearly every time they have dental work. Dental paper is a joke and the ADA really has to get their act together and mandate a better technology (yes even if it's more expensive and you dentists have to pay a little bit more for the equipment). As for me, every tooth that I lost was due to an incompetent dentist. If I never went to a dentist in my life, then I would have all my teeth today. My ordeal started with my first dentist who, against my strong objections, kept putting temporary fillings in my lower left wisdom tooth because he felt it may need root canal some day. Of course, after a year of temporary fillings coming and going the tooth actually did need root canal. Being a wisdom tooth, I chose to have it removed, which he was too incompetent to do. I then had it extracted by an oral surgeon, who cracked the tooth in front of it in the process. I had that tooth crowned by a competent dentist when I lived in Virginia. Ten years later the crown came off another incompetent dentist replaced it but never got the bite correct, even though he kept insisting that it was fine. After years of pain an x-ray showed a marked thickening of the periodontal ligament and I opted to have the crown removed. However, my next incompetent dentist insisted on root cannel, even though there was no signs whatsoever of infection or an abscess. I agreed only if she removed the crown first. When she started the procedure and I was already in the chair she said she would drill through the crown for the root canal and remove the crown at the end of the procedure. By so doing I was in horrific pain after the first half of the procedure and ran a fever for days afterwards before I could finally convince her to prescribe antibiotics. After the procedure was complete, the tooth hurt like hell! I had it x-rayed and low and behold, she cracked the tooth clear down to the root by performing the root canal. I then, had to lose the tooth with a horrific extraction because the tooth shattered into pieced from the root canal. I'm not saying that all dentists are incompetent. I had a great dentist is Virginia, he actually worked on top politicians so he had to be good. However, he was the exception and not the rule. Too many dentists are like you who dismisses something serious like an incorrect bite as something that will work itself out. I found the best way to find a decent dentist is by the equipment they have in their office. If they skimp with cheap chairs, operatorys, x-ray sensors, and equipment, then you can pretty much be assured that hey will skimp on you. When looking for a dentist take a tour of the office. If you see top equipment (which can be found with a little research on the Internet) then go for it. Otherwise, don't walk - run!

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.