Dentistry/root canal

Question
GOOD MORNING KETAN. I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT 2 TEETH I HAD ROOT CANALS PERFORMED IN DEC. BOTH LEFT LOWER MOLARS..THE DOC TOLD ME THAT THEY WENT PICTURE PERFECT NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. I NEEDED THEM BECAUSE THEY WERE COLD AND HOT SENSITIVE..THAT PROBLEM IS GONE I HAVE CROWNS ON BOTH OF THE TEETH WHICH WENT GREAT..NOW FOR THE PROBLEM..[IF THIS IS A PROBLEM ??] IF I HAVE TO CHEW HARD ON THESE BACK TEETH SUCH AS A APPLE PEEL,HARD PIECE OF BREAD I CAN FEEL IT, NOT TO THE POINT THAT IT IS REAL BAD PAIN, BUT JUST NOT A GOOD FEEL. AFTER I STOP CHEWING ON THEM I GUESS I WOULD CALL IT SLIGHT PAIN WHICH GOES AWAY..IF I DO NOT CHEW ANYTHING REAL HARD THEY ARE OK. BUT IF I WERE TO CHEW HARD ON THEM I CAN STILL FEEL THE SENSATION THE NEXT DAY. AGAIN NOT BAD, JUST NOT RIGHT. IT IS NOT GETTING WORSE..ALSO IF I PUSH ON THE TEETH WITH MY TONGUE I CAN FEEL THIS SENSATION OF NOT WHAT MY OTHER TEETH FEEL LIKE..SO IS THIS NORMAL,WILL IT GET BETTER OR IS THIS WHAT ROOT CANALS ARE LIKE. THE ENDO DOC SAID SOME TAKE SOME TIME TO HEEL..THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME, I WILL NOT TELL MY ENDO DOC ABOUT THIS TALK IF YOU SAY YOU FEEL SOMETHING IS WRONG. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND FOR TAKING THE TIME WITH THIS. TOM..

Answer
Hi Tom,
What you are describing is something called "neural modulation".  During root canal treatment, the nerve inside the tooth is removed, which is why your hot and cold sensitivity disappeared.  However, there is a ligament that goes around every tooth where the nerve endings are still alive and intact.  Every tooth (and everyone's teeth) has this ligament and it's normal for the nerves in this ligament space to give an altered sensation after root canal treatment.  With time, this will dissipate and you'll probably get used to it as well.

I would not be overly concerned about this as you are still able to chew certain things without pain.  If it gets to the point where you can't put any pressure on the tooth, then I suggest you return to your endodontist for an evaluation.  I also suggest you keep the recall appointment (either 6 months or 12 months), where the endodontist will take an xray to check the teeth.

Hope this helps,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD