Dentistry/2 year old Anesthesia Dental

Question
My daughter who is 2 years old was found to have 8 cavities due to breastfeeding. My dentist has recommended she go under anesthesia to have dental work done mainly filling and placing caps. My wife and i very uncomfortable about having our daughter placed under anesthesia and would like to wait until shes a bit older. What would you recommend. Thanks

Answer
Dear Mr. Khan,
you are quite correct to worry about general anesthesia. It carries with it great risks.
With a small child general anesthesia should only be done when absolutely necessary under the good supervision of an expert.

I suspect that the teeth in question are in the front , and mostly in the top jaw.
They can be treated with local anesthesia, even if the treatment is imperfect the process of decay can be slowed up enough so that the teeth can be treated when your daughter is older and can cooperate a little better.
If you are concerned , as you should be, I would find a pediatric dentist who is willing to treat the teeth in the office with local anesthesia.This would be with the understanding that it may not be a perfect solution and some of the teeth might be lost early.  

Early loss by infection of the upper anterior teeth will not cause any long term problem with your daughter.  Brush her carious teeth with fluoride toothpaste on a daily basis, it will slow up the process and give you time to let her get older so the teeth can be treated in an office.

Hope this helps,
all the best,

Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss