Dentistry/my 6 year old seems to have a cut

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
My 6 year old son was complaining that he had soreness on his gums. I took a look and there seems to be some sort of cut on the side of his gums. It is right next to a molar. I was wondering if it is a cut or a tooth trying to come through? It seems like a pretty big cut it something to me. Or it kind of looks like something is trying to come through. He just had a dental exam, but no xrays were taken. I have a photo but I can't attach it for some reason. Thank you for your time.

ANSWER: Dear Timi,
I would be pleased to help you, but the information you have given to me is just not enough.
Where is the cut, how big is it, is it closer to the tongue , or the tooth, how many primary teeth has your son lost , are any of his teeth loose, etc.
I suspect you are dealing with normal eruption of teeth, but I really can't tell. Send me more information.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

QUESTION: Hi Dr. Moss,
It is on his on his bottom right by his first molar. It is on the outside by his cheek. He has lost a lot of teeth. He actually has a very loose tooth on the top. He has lost seven teeth all together already. It really does look like something might be coming through, but there is already a tooth there. The cut or whatever it may be looks like the size of a length of his first molar. It's almost right underneath the side of his molar. I hope this information helps. I know a picture would help, but can't upload one. Again thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Timi,
That information helped a lot.
No problem here.
You were correct, you are dealing with a simple case of eruption.
When the baby molar falls out the space will be gone and everything will look and be normal.
If it were something else your son would have a great deal of pain and his temperature would be elevated.
All the very best,
Dr. Moss

Dentistry

Stephen J. Moss