Dentistry/Abscessed Tooth

Question
Hello,

My 3 year old daughter slipped on a tile pool deck in June and injured her top two front teeth. Just a little over a week ago, a bump appeared on her gum above one of the injured teeth. After taking her to two pediatric dentists, it has been determined that one tooth has abscessed and should be extracted. After not getting the discussion we expected from her dentist, we sought out another for a second opinion. I am so grateful we did, because I feel I understand things better now - but not completely. Is it possible to successfully do a pulpotomy on an abscessed top front tooth? I am wondering what a dentist looks for when determining whether or not a successful pulpotomy for an abscessed tooth is possible. If you could explain this to me a bit so I can be at peace with the appointment we have to extract my baby's top two baby teeth, I would be very grateful!

Answer
Hopefully, my response will not create further confusion for you.
First, understand that there is a very important distinction between "pulpotomy" and "pulpectomy".  
A pulpotomy is a partial root canal treatment of the affected tooth.  It is reserved for marginally infected primary (baby) teeth where the nerve in the root portion of the tooth is still healthy.  This is definitely not indicated for a tooth that has already abcessed.  In an abcessed tooth the entire pulp tissue including the entire root is infected along with some infection spreading to the bone and gum.
In the case of an abcessed primary tooth a pulpectomy is indicated.  This is more like a complete root canal procedure.  The procedure is a bit more complicated and takes somewhat longer than a pulpotomy but is still accomplished in the dental chair.  Sometimes it may take several visits but sometimes not.  Depending on the extent of the infection in the area of the bone the pulpectomy may not be entirely successful and the tooth may have to be extracted at some point.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson