Dentistry/Apparent line at top of crown

A couple days ago I had crown put on my,I believe,number 12 tooth. Before placing it the dentist said my gum had receded in the 5 weeks since he placed my temporary and there would be what appeared to be a line where it joins the gum line. He said its not a line but a shadow although it shows regardless of the light. He said he could fix it but my gum would probably recede again and I would have the line so I let him attach it. When I left and looked at it I immediately didn't care for the way it looked. It seems to me perhaps your gums will recede but shouldn't it at least look good when you have it attached. I wonder if it was made right to begin with. He did agree to replace it for no charge, I'm going back in a few days.

My questions. Can gums recede that fast? If this one looks this way now if they recede more wouldn't it look worse still? He says no. He mentioned he may make me a porcelain for better aesthetics but its not as strong as porcelain/metal fused. Is there much difference in strength? Aesthetic wise I'm fine with the color, shape etc. it just looks like it doesn't fit. Lastly is it a big deal to redo it? Will he have to remove a lot more tooth? I'm slightly on the fence about leaving it alone, thinking he may make it worse but I'm not happy with it.

Thank you so much for your time

Thanks for your question. You seem like a very reasonable and level-headed patient. It is rare for gums to recede that quickly, although it can happen especially if there was inflammation from a gum problem that has been resolved. Another possible reason for the quick gum recession is if the temporary was not made properly it can impinge on the gum and cause the recession, or if the margins of the temporary crown were made too bulky it can be a plaque trap and result in recession.
Regarding the metal margin, I would recommend that a new metal-free crown be made. There would be no metal showing, and as I mentioned before it is unusual for gum recession to happen rapidly so you shouldn't be concerned about that. There are some new materials such as e-max which is a very strong type of porcelain with excellent strength and aesthetics. But the MOST important factor when it comes to crowns is not the material... It's the dentist. The design, the shape and the fit will determine the ability to maintain a healthy and maintainable tooth underneath.
Bottom line, I say get the crown redone so it looks and feels comfortable. A good dentist will not remove additional tooth structure when removing and old crown.
Best of Luck,
Joseph Zelig, DDS

Joseph Zelig, DDS

Dr. Zelig is a board-certified Periodontist and is an expert on dental implants & treating patients with Dental Phobia. Dr. Zelig can answer any and all questions you have about complex dental problems, dental implants, gum disease, treatment of gum recession, and IV sedation dentistry.

Dr. Zelig has personally placed several thousand implants with excellent success and has worked with many dental specialists and educated them on full mouth reconstruction, esthetic dentistry, and Sedation Dentistry. Dr. Zelig is a coauthor of a book on Dental Phobia, "The Fearless Smile: Overcoming Dental Phobia"

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontology, North-Eastern Society of Periodontists, American Dental Society of Anesthesiology

I received both my dental degree (DDS) and my certificate in the specialty of Periodontics from New York University College of Dentistry. Dr. Zelig graduated among the top 10% of the graduating class. As a result of outstanding academic achievements, Dr. Z was elected into the membership of Omicron Kappa Upsilon- the national dental honor society. In addition, Dr. Zelig has lectured to general dentists and specialists on periodontal treatment and dental implants. He is a Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology which recognizes periodontists who have made significant achievements beyond the educational requirements of the specialty. Board-certified periodontists have been examined by a panel of internationally respected peers and has been awarded Diplomate status. By successfully completing this challenge, Dr. Zelig has demonstrated a robust knowledge of periodontics, Continued professional development, Critical review of results of therapy, and interest in providing the best, most up-to-date care.