Dentistry/Baby Teeth

Hello Dr. Moss
My 6 year old son has his permanent lower front teeth peeking through his gums, and the baby ones are barely wiggling. Is this something to be alerted about, or will nature take its course? Also, his teeth growing in are pretty big and it seems like there will be not enough room for the adult teeth to push up naturally.

Dear Areej,

It looks bad, but there is no problem here.
The eruption of the permanent lower teeth always occurs behind the baby teeth.
The picture you describe is very common.
There are two things you can do.
1 - in a few weeks the baby teeth will become wobbly and then fall out.
The tongue will push the permanent teeth into the proper position withing just a few days.
2- Go to a dentist and have the baby teeth removed.
The tongue will then push the permanent teeth into the proper position.
Personally I would wait a few weeks, most likely nature will take care of the problem.
If not then , removal by a dentist is fast, painless, and always effective.
Hope this helps a bit.
All the best,
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.