Dentistry/Bone Graft

I recently had a bone graft done on 14 and 15. Wisdom tooth 16 was extracted long ago. The hope is to have a dental implant on 14 in the future if the bone graft takes.

1 - Is it wise to put an implant on 15 or is that not necessary?

2 - I had sutures put in after the bone graft and a mesh covering. Does the mesh covering get taken out with the sutures or does it stay in?

3 - When the sutures are removed, will the bone graft material be visible or will the gums be joined together?

4 - I read about bits of bone graft material falling out being normal? For how long in the process, from surgery to 6 months for the healing before implant time, is it normal for bits of bone graft material to fall out?

5 - Does this falling out of bone graft material happen with all types of bone graft - cadaver and synthetic?

Hi Cris,
1- It's not necessary to have an implant on #15, but you will gain further chewing efficiency on the left side with the extra surface area that #15 gives you.  It will also help prevent the opposing tooth from supra-erupting.

2- It depends  what kind of 'mesh' or membrane the dentist used.  There's 2 kinds of membranes in the market, a resorbable and non-reresorbable.  The non-resobable has to be removed.

3- Depends.  If the gums have 'joined together' or achieved primary closure (which is ideal), the graft material will not be visible.

4- Depends and Yes.

5- It can happen with cadaver or synthetic bone.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey