Dentistry/Bridge Failure

Question
I originally received a bridge to replace the 7,8,9 and 10 teeth. The bridge was anchored on the eye teeth, 6 and 11. The bridge lasted about 8 years and may have been compromised when I had a root canal done on tooth 11. The dentist drilled through the bridge in order to do the root canal. The original bridge was replaced by a bridge that used the 5,6,11, and 12 teeth as anchors. After 2 years, the bridge came loose and the dentist recemented it. After 4 years, the 5,6,11 and 12 teeth began to decay and the bridge has to be redone. Why would this happen?

Answer
All studies show bridges last for about 7 to 10 years and decay is usually the most common cause for failure. The longer the span of the bridge the more stress on the teeth anchoring the bridge.
I think you will need to explore other options like implants and removable partial dentures.

Hope this answered your question.

Dr. Elsafi

Dentistry

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP