Dentistry/Bridge vs Implant

I'm having to have 2 teeth, #29 & 30, extracted after about 30 + years of root canals & replaced crowns, and I'm faced with the delemina of going with a bridge or crown... I'm looking for longevity and not so much cost.  I don't want to have to have something replaced another 5 years down the road.

What would you recommend?

That's a very valid question. Well our studies have shown that the average life span for a bridge is about 7-10 years and the most common failure is due to decay.
Implants on the other hand have about 95% success rate, if place correctly and if the crown on top of them are well designed and have acceptable occlusion.

So my recommendation to you would be as follows:
1. If the teeth next to the space ie #28 & 31 do not have or need any kind of restoration ie virgin teeth, then implants are definitely a better way to go. If those teeth need crowns any way, then you can go either way, meaning bridge or implants.
2. Since you still have #29 & 30 in place that usually, but no always, means that you have enough bone to place the implants in idea positions. Otherwise, implants might not be an option.
3. Implants once they integrate with bone and crowns done correctly, they should last for a long time. Of course you still have to take care of them as far as brushing, flossing and seeing your dentist every 6 months, etc.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Dr. Elsafi

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.