Dentistry/Bruxism

Question
Hi Jonathon, I wonder if you can help me.
I have suffered with anxiety disorder for three years now, and as a side effect from both my anti-depressants and the disorder, I have awful problems with jaw clenching. It can happen both in the daytime (subconsciously) and night time, as a result my gums are always very sore and loose, not to mention constantly bleeding, I also find my teeth have become very sensitive. I try to brush twice a day when they are not too uncomfortable, but I feel like they are just becoming more and more irritated. What can I do to get my gums back on track?

Thank you,

Demi

Answer
Hi Demie,

Yes, I would like to help you.  The good news is that your condition is very fixable.

You have correctly discerned that your anxiety is causing your bruxism....which in turn is making your gums and teeth very sore.

You need to do address a few things:

First:  
What is the cause of your anxiety?  Since you are already taking anti-depressants, I am assuming you are already seeing a mental health professional.  Ask him/her for suggestions for anti-anxiety/muscle relaxing type medications.  If you are able to relax your jaw muscles, it will help your mouth feel more comfortable and mitigate the Bruxism.  If your mental health professional focuses primarily on pharmacology, then also seek out a licensed therapist who you can talk to about your life's stresses and how to deal with them.

Second:
Since Bruxism is your problem, then you should be wearing a Night Guard to sleep in.  The night guard acts as sort of a buffer to prevent your teeth from grinding while you sleep.  A properly fitted night guard will minimize your Bruxism and get your mouth feeling more comfortable. What you need to find is a Board Certified Dentist who spends the majority of their time working on TMJ and Bite Problem Cases and makes a lot of Night Guard Appliances.  Not somebody who cleans teeth one minute, fills a cavity the next, then about once a month has a patient who has a TMJ or Bruxism complaint and requires a Night Guard.  One Hundred percent of dentists can make a Night Guard Appliance for you, but only a small percentage have the necessary practice to do it properly. Sometimes if can take several visits to the dentist to get your Night Guard just right.

Don't wait.  Work on these tasks right away.

I wish you the best of luck.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble