Dentistry/Buldge on upper lip

I looked again at his upper lip where the other dentist on the site pointed out a bluish lump and there is a lump. It's not really big but it is elevated compared to the surrounding tissue .it is flesh colored. Could this be a gland or a vein or a tumor? I know it's been this way forever and not changed because the fort pic was taken over two years ago. He has had many dental exams and the dentist has never said anything about this but he has an exam next month and I will make him point this spot out. Does this look like anythig worrisome?

Taken two years ago

Taken few months ago

Taken today

Kim -  It is difficult in any of those pictures to differentiate what that swelling might be.  It does not appear to be very large from the pictures.  It could be a blocked gland or an old hematoma (collection of blood cells from a minor bruise), but I cannot tell.  My suggestion is that you make an evaluation appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  There are these surgeons all over and that doctor should be able to either diagnose what is there from an examination or you might require a small biopsy.  So make that appointment to quiet your apprehensions.  It does not look serious, but it is best to get it properly diagnosed.  

Any more questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude