Dentistry/Bulge on side of tongue

I noticed this buldge on the side of my tongue kind of under side I my tongue. It doesn't hurt an its the same color as the other tissue. It's not hard at all it feels normal. When I stil my tongue out I really don't see it only when I touch my tongue to the side or to the roof of my mouth. There is a little buldge on the opposite side but not as large and prominent. Is this normal tissue or something I should be worried about?

Kim - The appearance of your tongue on all three pictures is completely normal.  The bulging areas are just glandular tissue that exists in the tongue.  The tongue has taste buds, saliva producing tissue and other glandular tissues.  The bulges are all normal in appearance.  So relax.

Just so you know, the two sides of the tongue are not 100% equal and there appearance can be a little different on the two sides.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude