You are here:

Dentistry/Cracked Tooth Syndrome


Thank you for reading this question.  I was diagnosed with a cracked tooth.  It started 2 years ago when tooth number 15 (top 2nd from back) containing a filling - broke while chewing.  Dentist repaired filling, but I felt a pulling sensation or a tightening of the tooth when chewing gum that would disapate in a short amount of time.  Maybe 20 seconds to 1 minute.  It wasn't painful - just felt like if you wiggled the tooth it would move back in place.  The filling was replaced, still had the feeling.  The filling was replaced by a crown.  Still have the feeling.  The tooth becomes sore now for a couple of hours if I chew on it (which I have tried not to do for two years).  My dentist is recommending I have a root canal.  My question is - if I have the root canal, will the pulling / moving / tightening sensation still be present?  If so, is this feeling the crack contracting and expanding when I bite?  Will the tooth eventually break since the crown is not stopping this?  I would really appreciate your advise and opinion.  Thank you very much.  I have a strong phobia of dental procedures.

hi Lori

to successfully manage a cracked tooth syndrome one has to understand the orientation of the crack line.

A) if the crack line is oblique and ends at the gum line or below it, then the treatment consists of root canal and a cap(which encircles the tooth below the crack line). this prevents further ingress of bacteria which can potentially lead to reinfection. the encircling cap with its margins below the crack line prevents further opening of the crack and seal the fault completely.

B) if however the crack line is central in orientation and runs below the gum deep into the bone then all attempts at saving the tooth fail over a period of time as the bacteria continue to enter the tooth through the crack and infect the tooth. tooth removal is a usual outcome and necessary.

if i were in your place, i would get the root canal done and take it from there on. your pain would end and the tooth should become comfortable.

having said that.... your best shot at getting the right treatment lies in visiting an endodontist for this. general dentists are usually not great at managing and opining on such cases.

ideally speaking the cap should be removed to see the orientation of the crack then only a proper diagnosis and a suitable treatment plan can be devised.

click on the below link to understand it better:  

best wishes
dr mayank kaurani


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS


rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.


14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)

©2017 All rights reserved.