Dentistry/Cyst after wisdom teeth extraction

Question
Hello, a few months ago I had my 4 impacted wisdom teeth surgically extracted. For a few weeks now the the bottom left extraction site has been has swelled slightly and become rather painful. It feels like there is liquid inside. I've been keeping an eye on it for while now, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. does this sound like a cyst to you? if so what is the treatment usually for a cyst?

Thank you
Luke

Answer
Hello. In answer to your question, a cyst is a fluid filled sac. Generally, a cyst can form if remnants of a prior cyst are not removed completely. However, it may not be a cyst. It is possible it could be infection. My suggestion is, to go immediately back to the surgeon who performed the extraction to have it evaluated. It may need to be treated further, with antibiotics, drainage, or curettage.

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS