Dentistry/Dental Asst. pulled out adjacent filling

Hello. While my dentist's assistant was taking an impression-mold of tooth "A" (for a crown), the dental assistant ended up yanking out the ENTIRE filling in the adjacent tooth "B". The filling in tooth "B" was from a former dentist and had been in my tooth, for years prior to this visit. In fact, I've had NO issues with tooth "B" nor has my current dentist ever pointed out any concern with tooth "B" during even a most-recent full (Xray, Explorer proding, etc) checkup. When the DA realized what she caused to occur, she called for the dentist who informed me "The filling in 'B' is too large to fill and, therefore, requires a crown."

To clarify for the reader, I was in the office preparing tooth "A" for a crown .. then the careless (and NEW to the office) Dental Assistant yanks out a different filling from tooth "B' .. and the dentist expects me to pay for that SECOND crown.

Since tooth "B" was exposed, I did have to pay $150 to have the tooth temporarily filled with her reminder that it MUST be crowned soon.

I am truly frustrated, mostly due to the negligence of her DA, coupled with the dentist's unwillingness to assist me in repairing their mishap.

What options do I have? I haven't taken any action, nor blogged about this online (in Google Local, etc) which would impact her business. I do expect her to pay for tooth "B", at least 50% of the cost if not in entirety.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

In answer to your question, no matter how bad a dental assistant she was, a good filling will not come out in an impression. The reason it came out is for 1 reason, the existing filling had microleakage and had allowed bacteria to flow underneath to loosen it. This is not always detectable during exam, as the explorer is not microscopic and only detects larger gaps around fillings. If there was not much decay associated with it, then it would also not be detectable on an xray. If this filling hadn't become dislodged, it would have progressed much further before being detected and most likely would have also needed a root canal.
White Fillings are chemically bonded to teeth, and silver fillings are locked into underlying gooves in teeth. Fillings that are in healthy teeth should be able to remain even after biting into a caramel, hard crusty chewy bread, peanut brittle, impression material, etc. So, should easily retain even the strongest impression material.
Xrays are only 2-D, they can only show large pockets of decay inside of teeth and smaller areas of decay can be detected in between teeth.So, in order to be conservative and not overdiagnose, we tend to wait until there are sure signs of needing fillings, which can sometimes cause a missed problem that is not visible, and can continue to progress without notice.
I understand the frustration of feeling that a tooth was fine, and then needing an unexpected large treatment, but unfortunately this was not their fault.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998