Dentistry/Dentist yanked out adjacent filling

Hello. While my dentist's assistant was taking an impression-mold of tooth "A" (for a crown), the dental assistant ended up yanking out the ENTIRE filling in the adjacent tooth "B". The filling in tooth "B" was from a former dentist and had been in my tooth, for years prior to this visit. In fact, I've had NO issues with tooth "B" nor has my current dentist ever pointed out any concern with tooth "B" during even a most-recent full (Xray, Explorer proding, etc) checkup. When the DA realized what she caused to occur, she called for the dentist who informed me "The filling in 'B' is too large to fill and, therefore, requires a crown."

To clarify for the reader, I was in the office preparing tooth "A" for a crown .. then the careless (and NEW to the office) Dental Assistant yanks out a different filling from tooth "B' .. and the dentist expects me to pay for that SECOND crown.

Since tooth "B" was exposed, I did have to pay $150 to have the tooth temporarily filled with her reminder that it MUST be crowned soon.

I am truly frustrated, mostly due to the negligence of her DA, coupled with the dentist's unwillingness to assist me in repairing their mishap.

What options do I have? I haven't taken any action, nor blogged about this online (in Google Local, etc) which would impact her business. I do expect her to pay for tooth "B", at least 50% of the cost if not in entirety.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This is frustrating for you I'm sure.Even though all along with exams and x rays and cleanings and no symptoms on the tooth B it was not the fault of the assistant or the dentist for removing the filling in the impression.Understand what transpired here,the impression was taken ,doesn't matter by whom.The impression material which is very accurate lifted the so to speak  perfectly good filling out of the tooth.There is absolutely no way to prevent that from happening ,doesn't make a difference who took the impression.The filling even though it looked and felt fine was defective otherwise it wouldn't be pulled out in the impression.This restoration whether old or new was defective and has to be replaced.I know it may sound counter-intuitive but they did you a favor.Now you could get the tooth B restored properly.This doesn't happen often but in 28 years of practice it has happened a number of times and I carefully explain to the patient the dental rationale.Communication is key.You need that second crown and should be expected to pay for it.

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.

I`m a practicing general dentist for 29 years. Member of ADA,NYSDA,SDDS. In addition I am a fellow of the ICOI.My emphasis is on Implant Dentistry .I would be happy to answer questions regarding implant dentistry as well as general dental questions. Ofcourse within the limitations of no clinical exam and the absence of radiographs .

Private practice for 29 years. Have kept up to date with continuing education throughout that time.

ADA,NYDSA,SDDS,ICOI fellow,Penninsula Hospital Dental Society

NYU College of Dentistry DDS 1984 NYU College of Dentistry Surgical and prosthetic implantology program 1999-2001