Dentistry/Denture Reline

Question
Dr. I went to a dentist to ask about a upper denture relineing. He said that my denture fit very tight and good in the ridge area, but was very thin past this area. Have you ever heard of adding extra acrylic underneath where it bow's,  (where I rest my tongue? )He said that it might be possible to just reline it that way, instead of inside the denture. Thanks Dr.

Answer
Dear Samuel:
Denture relining is by nature the addition of acrylic material to the inside of the denture to make it better adapted to the mouth structures under the denture (upper and/or lower).
There are special circumstances in which addition of acrylic material to the outside of the denture (where your tongue rests).  One is obvious:  if your denture is too thin and is prone to fracture.  The other is the effects of the denture on speech.  Sometimes it is necessary to add or remove material in order to help a person pronounce certain sounds in a better fashion.  It is called a palatogram, just type it into google.
I do not know why your dentist recommends to add material to the outside of the denture (where the tongue rests) rather than on the inside, but this is a question that you have to ask him.
The only problem that I see in adding to the place where your tongue rests is that your speech might be affected.  This is easy to test with placing some dental wax in the area and see how you function.  Ask your dentist to do that BEFORE you change the denture.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.