Dentistry/Disabled and in dire need of a dentist

Hi, I saw a question that you answered a few years back for a lady that lived out in California. I essentially have the same problem which is that I'm in dire need of dental work and have a very limited means to be able to do so. I'm currently in pain and have been putting benzocain around the tooth for a few days now which has helped a little but as each day goes by the pain only increases. I'm on disability and my monthly check from ssdi is less than what most people receive from ssdi and as most people now even that is a very small limited income. I have medicare and used to have full medicaid but once I started receiving food stamps for my daughter and I they changed my medicaid to where I have to have about 640 dollars of out of pocket medical expenses before medicaid will help pay any thing. what I need is to be pointed in the right direction so that I can get very cheap or free dental care. I may only need some xrays and a filling but thats more money then I have and if I paid for those dental services it would either mean I take food off the table or not paying the electric bill which is already a month behind. I do live in central florida. Deltona, Volusia county to be exact. Do you know.any dentists that do pro bono work here in florida or dentists that will preform the work for real cheap? my email is  hope some one has answers for me.

Dear Philip,

I am sorry to hear about your dire straits. I can only imagine what it must feel like to be unable to afford adequate care.  You need to find a dentist or dental clinic that will provide care for nothing or near nothing.

There are several steps that I recommend to all my questioners in your situation.  First, contact your local and county social service departments and ask if they know of, and can refer you to, a county-supported clinic.  Second, contact your local and state dental associations and find out if they can refer you to a dentist who does pro bono dental work.  Third, look up Donated Dental Services.  They should have a list of participating dentists in your area.  Lastly, find a dental college near you.  They often will provide dental care for very low fees.

If you still have issues after you have done all the above, please contact me again.  If you do find care that is suitable for you, please let me know what helped you the most.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.