Dentistry/Filling Pain

Dr. I had a gum line filling on my left wisdom tooth, and he put the silver type. It has been 2 weeks now and I have pain when eating or drinking hot things. Is this normal? I had the pain right away when drinking cold drinks and he said this, when I got the filling. There was no xray taken, he just looked at the tooth and evaluated it before the filling. There was already a white filling covering the top that I has about 20 yrs. ago. Thanks

Terry - I, of course, without evaluating you or seeing xrays have a little difficult time diagnosing what is producing your pain.  It is not abnormal in a deep filling within the tooth to have some cold sensitivity for a few weeks.  If the problem does not resolve within another couple of weeks, the doctor will have to do testing or send you for testing to see if the nerve within the tooth has been damaged.  I wish I could be more exact, but it is early in the healing and at this time even a normal situation could still be a little inflamed.  So give it a couple weeks and if not better, get back to your dentist.  An xray should definitely be taken if sensitivity continues.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude