Dentistry/Filling Pain

Question
Dr. I had a gum line filling on my left wisdom tooth, and he put the silver type. It has been 2 weeks now and I have pain when eating or drinking hot things. Is this normal? I had the pain right away when drinking cold drinks and he said this, when I got the filling. There was no xray taken, he just looked at the tooth and evaluated it before the filling. There was already a white filling covering the top that I has about 20 yrs. ago. Thanks

Answer
Terry - I, of course, without evaluating you or seeing xrays have a little difficult time diagnosing what is producing your pain.  It is not abnormal in a deep filling within the tooth to have some cold sensitivity for a few weeks.  If the problem does not resolve within another couple of weeks, the doctor will have to do testing or send you for testing to see if the nerve within the tooth has been damaged.  I wish I could be more exact, but it is early in the healing and at this time even a normal situation could still be a little inflamed.  So give it a couple weeks and if not better, get back to your dentist.  An xray should definitely be taken if sensitivity continues.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired