Dentistry/Gum pulling away from tooth

Question
Hello, for the past three days I have had excruciating gum pain on my back right molar. The pain is so intense I cannot sleep. After further inspection I realized my gum has pulled away from my tooth. What can I do to ease the pain and fix this? My tooth does not hurt at all. I clean and floss my teeth every day. I have been using mouthwash and hydrogen peroxide which eases the pain a bit.

Answer
Hi Kirill,

Sometimes the gum can pull away from the lower wisdom tooth. This is referred to as a pericornitis.

What happens is that some food or particles get stuck underneath the gum tissue. This then causes the gum tissue to become infected and swell. This usually leads to discomfort, limited jaw opening, and/or fever.

I would recommend seeing a dentist as at a minimum I would recommend a round of antibiotics. Rinsing with peroxide and warm salt water helps as a supplemental aide.

It usually takes about 5-7 days for this to start to resolve.

Let me know if you need more help!

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD