Dentistry/Gum pulling away from tooth

Hello, for the past three days I have had excruciating gum pain on my back right molar. The pain is so intense I cannot sleep. After further inspection I realized my gum has pulled away from my tooth. What can I do to ease the pain and fix this? My tooth does not hurt at all. I clean and floss my teeth every day. I have been using mouthwash and hydrogen peroxide which eases the pain a bit.

Hi Kirill,

Sometimes the gum can pull away from the lower wisdom tooth. This is referred to as a pericornitis.

What happens is that some food or particles get stuck underneath the gum tissue. This then causes the gum tissue to become infected and swell. This usually leads to discomfort, limited jaw opening, and/or fever.

I would recommend seeing a dentist as at a minimum I would recommend a round of antibiotics. Rinsing with peroxide and warm salt water helps as a supplemental aide.

It usually takes about 5-7 days for this to start to resolve.

Let me know if you need more help!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR